New English Language Test Options for SDS Applicants in Canada
New English language test options are now available for those applying through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) to Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) from August 10, 2023. The list of approved tests has expanded to include:
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) General
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based test (TOEFL iBT)
IELTS General & Academic tests continue to be accepted.
Here are the changes to IELTS requirements that were implemented on August 10th:
- An overall band score of 6.0 is now required.
- For those who applied with IELTS Academic before August 10th, 2023, a score of 6.0 in each skill section (speaking, listening, reading, and writing) is necessary.
- If you’re applying with IELTS General Training, a 6.0 score in each skill section is still required, whether before or after August 10th.
For the other newly approved tests, SDS applicants need to achieve:
- A total score of 7 for CELPIP General tests
- A score of 60 for CAEL tests
- A score of 60 for Pearson Academic tests
- A score of 83 on TOEFL iBT tests
One important thing to note is that these tests must be taken in-person, as online or remotely proctored tests are not eligible for consideration in the SDS application.